One of the greatest things for a designer is the challenge of redesigning something well-known – just for the hell of it. Here is my take of a redesigned Hacker News. Please note: This redesign was just for fun, based upon various points of discussion from another redesign.
Here’s the details:
- Everything fits on the one line which helps reduce the clutter and would allow more articles above the fold (in this design I have kept the standard 30).
- The darkest items are now the titles taking the focus off the header and straight to the content.
- Font used is Droid Sans (Google Webfont)
- Secondary links (in header and next to titles) have been dulled slightly to be easier on the eyes.
- Background has been lightened.
- SUBTLE: Removed the dots from the position numbers (trust me, it makes a difference!).
- SUBTLE: The More link is now orange. Yep, awesome.
Full size version here: http://diesellaws.com/HN.png
(Open this link in a New Tab to avoid the popup)